I realise its been AGES since I shared anything I’ve sewn with you on here. Sewing write ups tend to be quite time consuming. So I thought I would take the pressure off and keep it simple. This was dress I made back in the early autumn (look at that gorgeous low autumn light streaming through this photo, how I miss it).
I used a free pattern from an old copy of Prima magazine that a friend always saves for me. In hindsight I wish I’d drafted my own like I usually do for my children’s clothes. I used the pattern as I hoped it would save me time but I ended up having to use a small bodice size according to my daughters measurements, adding length to it and adding length to the skirt, its still a little short and I’m not sure it saved me any time.
The fabric was a lovely cotton lawn (I’m guessing) salvaged from a vintage ladies dress. The dress was a proper 1980s Laura Ashley style number with a long and full skirt and it was a fairly large size so there was LOTS of fabric to work with. the dress was fully lined and I managed to use the lining as well to line this dress. The dress was also given to me to use for the fabric and so the total cost of this dress was £0.
We have dubbed this dress the Blackberrying dress because of the time of year I made it and also the lovely green and purple bramble type design of the fabric. With a t-shirt and a war pair of tights underneath this dress is still getting a lot of wear.
In case your wondering about those boots, aren’t they gorgeous! They are a metallic leather with velvet ribbon laces. I got them on e-bay and they’d hardy been worn they were originally from Marks and Spencer and they go so perfectly with this very thrifty dress.